Chair of the Board of trustees
John is Chairman of Barchester Healthcare Ltd, a major care home business. He has recently been Chairman of Bonmarché Holdings plc, the value fashion retailer and McBride plc, Europe’s leading manufacturer of private label household products, as well as an operating partner at OpCapita LLP where he was Chairman of Appelrath Cupper, the German womenswear specialty retailer and Merkal the Spanish footwear retailer, two of their portfolio companies.
John was Senior Independent Director whilst at Travis Perkins between 2005 and 2014 and was Chairman of Aga Rangemaster Group plc between 2008 and 2015. He was also Chairman of Holidaybreak plc from 2009 to 2011 and Chairman of PJSC M Video, from 2014 to 2017.
John has also had significant executive experience in the retail sector, having been Chief Executive Officer of House of Fraser between 1996 and 2006 and Chief Executive Officer of Texas Homecare, a part of Ladbrokes plc. Prior to this, he held a number of senior Managing Director roles at the Burton Group, including Top Shop, Top Man and Dorothy Perkins.
Favourite sport: John loves most sports but is a particular fan of cycling.
First job: Paper boy
I believe in the power of sport. Street League’s support is about much more than finding a job. The frontline staff build young people’s confidence, create connections and support their overall wellbeing.
— John Coleman
Chair of Trustees
- People’s Postcode Lottery players provide vital support to local youth
- Rainbow Laces Day 2021: How to be an ally in sport
- Job search tips: How to deal with rejection
- Street League's top inspirational young leaders
- Street League's top 10 Black sporting heroes
- Tackling racism in sport and employment
- Thank you #TeamStreetLeague 2021 London Marathon runners
- Scottish Cyclist smashes Everesting Challenge in support of Street League
- Street League appoints Dougie Stevenson as CEO
- Street League recognised at ScottishPower Foundation Awards
- Street League partners with Proof Positive
- Why (online) volunteering is here to stay
- Addressing inequality in sport and the workplace
- Street League responds to the youth unemployment crisis caused by Covid-19
- A new approach to coaching
- Encouraging people to Play Proud